23 Must-See Things on Great Barrier Island!
Huge hiking potential on abundant little island near Auckland!
Great Barrier Island has some spectacular attractions you must see:
- 30 minute scenic flight from Auckland, $200 – cheaper than Queenstown......
- Pristine off-shore island
- Borders marine reserve, Brydes whales
- Possum and stoat-free environment
- Abundant, diverse wildlife:
- Rare colony of black petrels on the slopes of Mt. Hobson
- Banded rail
- HUGE kaka population!
- Fernbird & Spotless Crake
- Chevron Skinks
- Hochstetters Frogs – the only island-based population in New Zealand!
- Unique flora:
- Rare Great Barrier Island daisy
- Kirks daisy
- Natural, thermal hotsprings in the bush - at Kaitoke Wetlands
- Well graded tracks
- Compact, only 45 minutes drive from top to bottom of island
- Hiking trails to suit adventurous tastes
- 6-7 hours hiking per day: variety of long and short walks
- Volcanic peaks over 600m for 360 deg views of the Gulf
- Hirakimata/Mt Hobson, Te Ahumata/White Cliffs, Whalers Lookout, Dolphin Bay, Station Rock, Medlands Beach.
- Landscape rich in stories of colonial, industrial endeavours
- Visible remnants of kauri logging and gold mining
- Alternative, counter-culture of island residents with sustainable energy and organic food production
There's so much to do on this pristine little island, and this doesn't even cover the huge amount of water sports and activities if that's more your buzz!
Happy Barrier hiking!